6.15.2011

Livin' in a Bubble

Every morning since  Nike Girl could walk, actually run as she has never walked, we would raise her window shade to look outside and see if it could possibly be an outdoor playing day. Her little sister is now following in her shadow. We always say a little Thank you Lord for today and the sun or clouds or wind or rain. I even muster up a thank you for the snow because I know it is the right thing to do. This little morning tradition is expected around our house without fail.

I think the girls are following in my footsteps by becoming little outdoorsy active souls. On weekends, after my early morning long run, the girls are waiting by the front door with bed hair ready to go with me outside and "run" themselves. So back on the trail we head to go over to a neighborhood pond and throw rocks or see tadpoles. The newest adventure is to climb the rocks around the pond's edge and watch the girls spit into the water to make the little perch think it is a bug to eat. Gross but oddly fun and as Converse says....it is free entertainment.

We bike, we skate, we hula hoop, we pogo stick, we hopscotch, we zipline in the backyard, we dance, we climb trees, we swim, we jump on our trampoline for hours, we are a family that does not live in a bubble. Outdoor adventures make us happy. Well they did make us happy. Until this.......








Our first broken bone in our family (besides when I broke my leg in high school chasing a boy and fell down a flight of steps because untied high tops were cool). Oh the guilt......Weebok and Nike Girl were at a birthday party jumpin' and playin' on a trampoline like we do all the time. When "pop"Weebok fell and did not get up. I was inside and Converse had just turned his back for a second. So off we went to the ER. Oh the guilt of letting her jump on the trampoline.... at 2...... Poor baby! Nike Girl and I were quietly shedding tears along side Weebok when she chose "puple" as her cast color. Oh the guilt....did I mention that? And the looks of the nursing staff real or imaginary, probably the latter...saying," Why would a mother let a 2 year old on a large trampoline with older kids then go inside to eat a bag of chips " because that is why I left my sweet baby's side and went in...to indulge in junk food! Oh the guilt.....

We are a few days out. Three weeks left with a waterproof cast. The best possible fracture scenario.We have continued swimming per doctor's advice. The looks I see from under my sunglasses are funny really as the other mom's look from afar like I have a big red light above my head flashing...irresponsible! Ok, maybe a little dramatic. But I did have two fellow mother's say, " Well, I would never let my children on a trampoline, they are dangerous." Thank you for your opinion and sharing it with a complete stranger whom has cried every night with mommy guilt!

Bottom line is...as Converse and Weebok are sitting on a park bench, his arm in a cast and sling (previous post Wonderboy) and she is sporting a "puple" cast that we do not live in a bubble and never will. We will continue to be calculated risk takers because life is a lot of fun when you are challenging yourself to move and play. We will just be a little more careful when we chase bubbles.

Peace.
The "New Balance" Girl

Running Report: Running almost daily in the early am which has done my soul good. The weather has made for some great outdoor playing days! I have been watching these 4 little geese grow by a pond near our house. The momma and dada geese are very protective and honk at me each morning. It makes me laugh out loud. I ponder if they will live in a bubble or let their little ones fly solo one day? Have a great day!

6 comments:

  1. Oh...poor Nike Girl...and poor you! I have to say that by that photo, she actually looks like she's having fun with the cast.

    Your story cracked me up...you sure are entertaining. I can totally picture the whole event and the reaction of others too. Funny, but not! So annoying that people can be so judgemental that way.

    Anyway...you and I have another thing in common. I too broke some bones trying to impress a young man when I was younger. My parents were having a yard sale (patio sale) and I was playing in the backyard on the bars...doing twirls. Well, at the ripe old age of 9, I wanted to show off for this guy (probably in his 20's)...I sat on the bar, elevated to 6 feet tall and went backwards, planning to land on my feet. Instead, I did it so fast that my feet went out in front of me and I fell back to land on my hands and broke both of the radius bones in both wrists. hahaha...not funny at the time, but I can laugh now. :)

    OH, and I can totally imagine your family out in public with your hubby and Nike girl both on the mend. You are an awesome mommy, so don't beat yourself up.

    Have a blessed day!
    hi-d

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear!!! YOU FEEL CHASING A BOY? Woooo...I bet you learned quickly that we must let THEM chase US!!!
    Your little girl is so darling, but sooo sorry that she broke a bone! That has to be so painful. THANK YOU FOR VISITING ME TODAY! So nice to meet you! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI SUSAN! And thank YOU for coming by again. I wish you a happy FATHERS' DAY!!!! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun mom! Loved this because I want Zach and Colson to have outdoorsy active souls, too.

    Hope your sweet daughter is on the mend very soon. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone so much for your well wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't beat yourself up, Run. It's an accident. It doesn't matter what some woman who you've never seen before and will never see again thinks. It's about you and your family.

    Hope your precious Weebok is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete