4.06.2010

This is Supercell... Over and Out

Thunder in the distance, lightning flashing while cumulonimbus clouds are gathering, I get excited! Oh how these are a few of my favorite things. Weather has always been a part of my life growing up in Tornado Alley. Being farmers, we were very in tune to the sky as it could make or break the kind of year you had. I was 6 when I experienced my first tornado. Rushed outside in the early morning hours to the cellar in my Strawberry Shortcake PJ's. We all filed down the little ladder one by one with my dad being the one to close the door. My mom tried to calm me as my older sister and brother kept talking about how cool it was going to be when we were sucked out of the cellar.  I remember my dad kept peeking out of the cellar door to see what damage was being done. Each time he closed the door and crawled back down the ladder he gave a report. I remember how he had little pieces of gravel stuck in his forehead. That can't be good, seriously. When we finally came out of the cellar, I saw a double rainbow. The tornado took a grain bin and part of the roof of the house. We were lucky. From that moment on, I was hooked on weather.
Converse knew from the beginning of our courtship that I was a little obsessed with the weather. But it wasn't until later that I realized he had been tolerating my obsession all along. We were driving on an interstate in the southern part of the US. Converse was listening to sports radio while I was watching the clouds. Nike Girl was asleep in the back with the pug. The clouds built up slowly and then there it was in all its glory, a very distinct wall cloud forming before my eyes. I simply said, "Cool, oh totally cool, a funnel is about to drop out of that any second." I took Converse a little off guard. "What did you just say?" About that time a funnel dropped out of the cloud and touched ground south of the interstate. There was a debris cloud. I yelled, " Step on it, we've got cows!" Do you know how long I waited to say that phrase? Converse was eerily quiet as the Rodeo's RPM's were maxed out. I was smiling ear to ear dialing people on my cell phone to tell them the news. Then I glanced over and saw fear like no other in Converse's eyes, white knuckled and drivin' like a Nascar champ. We stayed ahead of it and it disappeared a couple minutes later. He kept mumbling, this is the end of the road, you are insane, and a few other things. Later, he confessed that he really does not find humor in my storm obsession and asked me to not talk to him about any of it. I apologized and realized how insensitive I was being.
So today I try so hard to keep it under control around the family. I still managed to go to storm spotter class with middle aged men wearing vests covered in patches proclaiming their ham radio handle names. They wore outfits similar to a boy scout vest and tube socks. Converse said that it is the same crowd that camps out over night to get tickets to the newest Star Trek movie. I think he is a secret wanna be. I like my peeps. My call name is Supercell. I call in storm reports from the comfort of my home. Oh how I want to be out in the action but I am a responsible mommy. I have a  family safety plan ready with bicycle helmets and flashlights ready to head to the basement if a tornado siren goes off this spring. We are prepared. Inside, however, I am ready for some action. I long for the day Jim Cantore sets up shop on our street ready to report live. Weird I know. This farm girl raised in Tornado Alley just can't help herself. This is Supercell over and out.

Peace.
The "New Balance" Girl

Running Report:
Enjoyed my runs outside over Easter weekend to counterbalance all the chocolate bunnies I ate. I love spring runs in the morning. The fresh air, cool breeze. Nike Girl and Weebok played outside all weekend long! Laundry has been fun. Great Easter holiday. God is good!

2 comments:

  1. You are HILARIOUS! I know I sound like a broken record, but I LOVE reading your blog!!!

    I too kind of like storms...I definitely LOVE clouds! I've never been in a tornado, but I do remember having a couple of warnings when visiting my grandparents in Nebraska as a kid. I can say, however, that I have experienced a hurricane, 1st hand. It started the day we landed in Puerto Rico on our honeymoon. Let's just say that on our first night there, slept in aqua socks, shorts & a t-shirt (per my husband's request) in case we had to evacuate the hotel. The bed was on the floor and I think we had a mattress against the sliding glass door. ha ha...maybe I should blog about that sometime...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. A hurricane on your honeymoom! What a way to start it all out.
    Love your honeymoon attire especially the aqua socks. LOL!
    You must blog about that as it is priceless.

    ReplyDelete