10.17.2010

Miss Merry Sunshine

There is nothing like the feeling of anticipating a fun activity. Birthdays are  good examples that come to mind. I am not much of a planner on daily routines. This has gotten me into some pickles in the past. I am however, a planner when it comes to parties. Every year I plan out a themed party for the girls. I pay attention to details from menu to decorations to games. I even do this for Converse. I love parties. I have a vision to how it should all pan out and want to create the perfect memory.
Needless to say, every year, someone always ends up crying because of things out of my party planning control. Like, the pinata breaks before everyone has a chance to swing at it,  the toy called for C batteries not D,  the red icing stains on a new tutu that was just put on, or someone pukes. It is only after the post party exhaustion subsides can I fondly look back and enjoy the not so perfect moments and laugh.

This weekend is another example of my preconceived vision. Nike Girl had a sleepover at her BFF's so it was just Converse, Weebok and myself to enjoy the evening. Weebok had an early nap so an early bedtime was to be expected. Converse marinated steaks all day to throw on the grill. Yum! So I dropped Nike Girl off at the sleepover and returned home to enjoy an evening I created in my head as relaxation and bliss.
This is what I got: 
As I entered the house through the garage, I smelled smoke. The steaks had caught on fire on the outside grill and flames were flying. Converse was moving in action with spray bottle as his only defense. Result, blackened steak. Medium rare is over rated. At dinner, I snuck the pug dog a piece, ok, maybe two pieces, ok three..it was three pieces. Weebok went to bed only one hour later than expected. We then started the much anticipated movie. The movie that was so slow and boring I fell asleep and so did Converse. We woke up on the couch at midnight with enough energy to make it to bed. Sleeping continued.....sort of.....
1:00am: Dog barking, I let her outside.
2:00am: Dog barking, Converse let her outside. He mumbled, "What is wrong with her?"
2:30am: Dog barking to go out again. I let her outside.
3:00am. Converse is on call, phone rings in this most annoying siren tone. 
3:30am: Dog barking to go out again. Finally admitted to Converse she might of had a bite or two of his blackened steak. He mumbles something under his breath that I am sure was quite nice and then lets her out.
4:00am: Weebok awake.
5:00am: I wake up to the dog barking again while still sitting with Weebok on my lap in her big comfy chair in her room. Neck pain. I let the dog out.
6:00am:  All asleep! Relaxation and bliss finally.
7:00am: Alarm goes off to go run 15 miles. HA! Laughter fills the air! 
7:45am: Converse asleep, Pug asleep, Weebok asleep,  I go run.

Obviously, I wish I wouldn't have given the pug steak. Oops. But I also sometimes wish I weren't a dreamer. But I am. I always develop a vision as to how an activity will turn out. A little Miss Merry Sunshine. The problem usually lies in this expectation because as you know rarely do things turn out exactly as you plan no matter how big or small the activity. The bottom line is perfection does not exist. I need to just chill and enjoy the ride. The bumps are what make the memories even more memorable.

Peace.
The New Balance Girl

Running Report: Yes, I ran. It hurt. I have nothing else to say about that,  thank you very much. I think I am going to go make some Snickerdoodles. That sounds good.Gorgeous weather. It is not hard being Miss Merry Sunshine today! I have no expectations for today except that I will make sure the pug dog is not eating leftover steak.