1.07.2012

Culinary Skills 101

My freshman year in college, I found myself the proud holder of a meal ticket to the local cafeteria where a trans fat ban was unthinkable. A place that specialized in fried everything placed on styrofoam with dirty utensils. Fresh fruit meant another day with fruit cocktail in heavy corn syrup. It served its purpose of allowing me to put on the freshman 15 without the headache of wondering where my next meal was going to come from.
The following year, I found myself standing in the kitchen of a run down college house with 4 other girls. We each had seperated out the cabinet space and labeled a space in the refrigerator. I was on my own with cooking. Honestly, I vividly remember having a moment of panic one day when I was opening another can of spaghettios with meatballs.I realized this was the beginning of a long road of new responsibility. I wanted to call my mommy and have her bring in some homemade country meals but I knew I had to do this on my own. I had the responsibility of trying to stay in the boundaries of the food triangle. At that aha moment, I was way left of center. Are spaghettios and meatballs even on the triangle?
So I began looking for recipes. I really haven't stopped. I love finding new meals to try. Each month I thumb through the magazines I subscribe to and search for a new meal to try. Yes, I know there is internet, too,but I am old school that way. Ideally, I would love to try to include a new recipe each week. That, however, is a little too ambitious. So if I try 2 a month I have done something. My family seems to like what I try most of the time. I definitely know if they don't like it.
So cooking meals is fun. Baking, on the other hand, I stink at it! I do make the girls cakes each year for their birthdays, but that is about it. If you only knew how many times I have had to rebake their cakes. When I have to sign up for baked goods at church or school, I cringe. I am the first to sign up for fruit or the napkins or plates. This is a prime example of how bad I stink at baking.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
I followed the recipe! I have no idea what happened. All I know is the 2 dozen cookies due ended up being store bought. These carmelized chocolate chip hockey pucks were salvaged and found a home in vanilla ice cream during Weebok's nap while Nike Girl was at school.  I couldn't let them eat half baked cookies, they had eggs for crying out loud. These cookies are the norm for me. I seriously do not know why I can not bake. I need a culinary skills 101 class. I think the only thing that makes me feel better is knowing my sister has actually caught her kitchen curtains on fire during one of her cooking adventures. I was there, the whole family was....the event is known for the origin of our family recipe Burn the House Down Enchiladas. Too funny! We must take after our dad.

If you have a fool proof cookie recipe. I would love to try it out!

Peace.
The "New Balance" Girl

Running Report: Training officially for a couple spring 13.1 milers. Personal goal: 1:59. My PR is 2:05. In order to do this, I need to stay away from carmelized hockey pucks in vanilla ice cream. I am beginning to think I really do only run to eat. Runnin' for Gouda :)

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha...that is hilarious...sorry... :)
    Love the photo!!!

    Okay, I can relate to that panic type feeling when it comes to cooking, but it's happening more so NOW with Maximus eating more and more of the stuff that we eat. I get a little overwhelmed and stressed trying to figure out what to make for dinner. I guess I can't feed him baby food forever and subway probably isn't the best either. haha...HELP! :)

    ReplyDelete