3.16.2010

Adirondacking- Not a Sport for the Weak

My love for an Adirondack chair started a few years back. We were living in the south where ferns, a ceiling fan, and Adirondacks seemed to be the standard on the front porch. I was quite impressed with how they sat. The chairs seemed to fit almost any body type and size. Once you sink back into the contour you just have to stay for awhile. Yes, they are comfortable but also a little difficult to exit. That is why I believe they have wide armrests. You can sit multiple plates of food and beverages next to you and not have to get up as often.
Converse and his dad decided to make us a pair. Neither Converse nor his dad like to do things half way. So the chairs ended up weighing a ton. You could not rearrange them. They were so heavy in fact, I often teased that if a hurricane were to come I was just going to tie myself and Nike Girl to the chair and hope for the best.
We still have one of those original chairs 6 years later, the other one blew out of the truck bed during one of our "do it-ourselves" moves. Converse insisted it was too heavy to be tied down, it was not going anywhere. I agreed. One of those Aha moments when I am glad I never tested the hurricane theory with the chair especially with Katrina.

So here we are today with spring approaching this Saturday on the calendar but realistically within the next three months, ...I am getting anxious to get outside and enjoy nature. I have been sitting inside for months looking at our covered arbor daydreaming  about sitting under it with the moss and ivy, listening to the locusts and frogs, watching lightening bugs while getting eaten by mosquitoes. So relaxing. I mentioned to Converse that he needed to make us some more Adirondack chairs. Great idea but probably not going to happen anytime soon. Temperatures are forecasted to be near 60 this Thursday and Friday before the snow on Saturday. This is our chance to get outside! But wait where will we sit?

So in true "New Balance"  fashion...little impulsive...I loaded up the girls this evening and headed to a local hardware store where Adirondack chairs were advertised for less than 15.00. Ok, plastic, I know, but bright red. How cool.  Besides will Converse even notice? A fairly cheap temprorary fix. We are going to enjoy the warm weather outside in Adirondack chairs no matter what we have to endure!

Top Ten Lessons learned from my Adirondacking obsession:
10. Why did I wait until everyone was tired to go on this adventure?
9. Why did the wheels on the cart I picked out squeal and constantly turn to the right?
8. Why did I spend 30 minutes looking around the store for the Adirondack chairs, only to be told by the  sales associate with an attitude, who was 12 maybe 13 ,that they have about 500 sitting outside by the entrance?
7. Why is it the chairs are outside where the air is in the upper 30's with a strong north wind and we didn't wear coats?
6.Why did I not remember it had rained and not notice the contoured chairs were full of water when I lifted them into the cart soaking myself?
5. Why do my car keys always fall to the bottom of my purse/diaper bag/ bookbag/ medicine cabinet/ vending machine messenger bag when I desperately want to use them?
4. Why didn't I park closer under a light?
3. Why is the back of the SUV loaded down with three blow up air guitars and  a microphone, two dolls, one backpack and a hula hoop? Oh wait is that also the shoe Weebok has been missing?
2. Why didn't I remember when the Adirondacks were finally in and the door was shut that I still had two children to fit in the vehicle? Someone is taping this, I can feel it, I am going to be on You Tube.
1. Why again did I buy two red plastic Adirondack chairs that we will enjoy for 24 hours before it snows again then will fade the first time the sun hits them?

All for the love of the game...Adirondacking- not a sport for the weak.

Peace.
The "New Balance" Gal
Running Report: Today opted for a bike ride and breakfast on the trail. Corn Pops to be exact. Played red light green light on some big rocks that Nike Girl had to climb....we froze! It was muddy, cool, and damp. We made it back home and were covered in mud like true mountain bikers. Fun but stayed in the rest of the day. Hope to run tomorrow and Shred. Long run will be Thursday I am thinking, need to see the forecast. And of course do a little Adirondacking!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog, Susan! It's so fun and I can relate to a few of your top 10 lessons. ha ha..I hope you get to use those chairs before the snow hits. :)

    Happy St. Patrick's Day. Don't forget to wear your green today.

    hi-d

    ReplyDelete