7.20.2010

Charlotte Lives!

I really dislike spiders. We have had many spiders in our house the last few weeks. I know they really have never hurt me but I have heard stories and we have all seen movies with hairy scary spiders attacking the innocent in their sleep. This week I had to face one of my biggest fears. Unfortunately, it had to be witnessed in front of the children.
I had just stepped out to sweep off the deck when Nike Girl started screaming, "Spider! Spider!" I arrive in the kitchen and see a medium sized spider crawling on the rug under the table. It was picking up speed, actually record speed, heading right for Weebok's bare toes. I hesitated only for a second then grabbed the first piece of junk mail I could find. With Nike Girl's Halloween screams filling the air and Weebok yelling "Bug...bug...bug." I went into mommy mode and swatted that poor innocent spider like Albert Pujols in the home run derby. Story should end.
No, no...not exactly....to my utter surprise, 50 or more little babies started running in all directions! Yes, this is a true fact of horror. I had swatted and missed the mama spider who obviously was very very fertile. At that point, I commenced screaming LOUDLY sweeping Weebok up into my arms. Nike Girl saved herself by jumping onto the kitchen table. What in the world do I do now? The girls are depending on me, I have to be a role model. Converse is in the Gulf cleaning up a different kind of mess. I have to be the adult! I dislike being 40! I want my mommy!
So I believe divine intervention lead me to the sweeper because I was not able to make a coherent sentence. I managed to get the child proof outlet cover out in one shot without breaking a nail. Plugged that Kirby in, and with Weebok on my hip and Nike Girl on the table I sucked the baby spiders up. I felt sad and scared at the same time. These poor little baby spiders. But what was I to do?
After a few minutes, we all calmed down. Then I realized I couldn't find the mom. The hunt was on. She was nowhere to be found. Then we found her in the corner. I couldn't suck her up nor could I hit her again. Nike Girl found a jar and I trapped her. She was quite defensive. That poor mama spider had a really bad day and needed a new beginning. So I threw her over the fence. Sorry neighbors we do not know. I called the spiderman the next morning. I had been procrastinating all week. But not now, the battle is over. He informed me some spiders carry their young on their backs. Wonderful news. So now we wait until he shows up to spray. I just know Charlotte is going to leave me a nasty gram on the arbor one of these mornings. "Trust me, Wilbur. People are very gullible. They'll believe anything they see in print." (Charlotte's Web, 1978). Charlotte lives! I just hope in the neighbor's yard.

Peace.
The "New Balance" Girl

Running Report: Hot and humid make long runs difficult. Did 8 miles this weekend. Continuing with my speed work which is not fast at all. Not nearly as fast as Charlotte going for my babies' toes! Stay cool in the heat!

1 comment:

  1. You always have such great adventures. ha ha...oh man...you remind me of my friend Shirley. She used to be very fearful of spiders but has gotten better since having kids and living out in the the country!

    ReplyDelete