7.26.2010

One Foot in Front of the Other

Entry Two

I started thinking the other day...when exactly did I start running? Ever since I was young I have loved being outdoors. Growing up on a farm was ideal for me. I spent my free time stomping on ant hills, attempting gymnastics on the propane tank, climbing trees, shooting hoops and riding my cowgirl bike. I loved to speed down the lane and hit the brakes to see how far I could slide on the gravel. I tried to jump ramps and do pop-ups before Xtreme sports were even popular. I also liked to walk down the country road with my dog Scampie Joe in tow looking at the clouds and just thinking. As I got older my walks turned into jogs.
My most memorable jog on the farm happened one summer. I was running from telephone pole to telephone pole listening to the wheat blow in the wind. I noticed a buzzing sound that started getting louder and louder. I looked around and saw nothing. The noise became so loud I stopped in my tracks. Headed right for me was a wave of bees as far as I could see. That is when I first experienced a pace outside my comfortable 10 minute mile. I looked like the roadrunner on Wild Coyote cartoons.I just knew the killer bees had arrived! I don't think I have ever ran so fast in all my running career. Somehow ,I am sure it was divine intervention, I made it home safely charging into the front door yelling, " Bees, Bees". The family just looked at me. Not exactly an easy thing to explain. 
So from there I moved off the farm to college and my running continued. Then I met Converse and continued to run together. I never ran a race just jogged because I liked to find different trails and be outside. Then one day , I remember clearly, I announced to Converse that I was going to run a marathon someday. I was twenty-something, sitting on the balcony of our first apartment in Denver. He said if that is what I felt like doing then I should do it. Simple enough. I know deep down inside he was thinking this is another one of my off the wall ideas like starting a calligraphy business, when I had never written with anything but a ballpoint pen, or the time I told him I wanted to start an organic dog biscuit company but only made one batch of biscuits that the dog wouldn't eat. He wanted to believe in me so he did. Next I called one of my best friends and told her. She too knows I can get some crazy ideas but she did not judge me. She simply asked Why? I really could not answer her then. But she cheered me on. So the dream of my first marathon began. I had no idea what it would take or how to go about running 26.2 miles. I did know inside I wanted to try to do it as crazy as it sounded. Of course, life then happened. Only 8 short years after making the announcement,  I made my first personal running dream a reality by putting one foot in front of the other.

To be continued.....

Peace.
The" New Balance" Gal

2 comments:

  1. Love your stories, Susan. So, I don't recall. What Marathon are you training for? Boston, Chicago, NY? I think it's great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caligraphy business? I thought your aspirations stopped at ball point pen repair! Maybe when we retire, we can move back to Columbo, take over Ward's Printing, and make our dreams come true! I loved that store back in the day.

    We all know that propane tank gymnastics do not prepare one for the balance beam or uneven bars in junior high gym class!

    Has Converse heard of Three Dog Bakery? You could have been a contender...

    Over and out - ct.

    ReplyDelete