7.09.2010

One Foot in Front of the Other

Entry One
The idea of this self imposed journey started a few months after I celebrated the big 40. Usually birthdays don't bother me. This particular birthday seemed to pass by without any major personal crisis. I guess I didn't have time to feel sorry for my aging self. The day started out with a clogged toilet and plunger around 5 am that rapidly turned into my girls getting the raging stomach flu. I look back and smile. God knew that humor would snap me out of the fog. The scenario of the day made me laugh and remember to count my blessings. On that day I could care less about the crow's feet and spider veins. I just wanted everyone to feel better soon. I felt content with where I was in life. It was a good day to remember.
A few months later, on a long run,  I started thinking. Why am I still running? Goodness gracious, it really is silly when I stop and think about it. I am not exactly graceful nor do I make it look effortless. I am a pronator who you can hear coming from yards away. I have ran two marathons and many other races where I continue to finish in the middle of the pack  I have saved all of the race t-shirts and bibs in a tote. Why? I know running is a health benefit, especially mentally. My family knows when I have ran and when I haven't. It is addictive. But why not be addicted to soap operas or homemade chocolate chip cookies? Why running? Why run and keep my same 10 minute mile pace? Why not go for it? Why not try to qualify for Boston?
Insert sound of screeching brakes. This is where the inner voice steps in and laughs like Count Dracula on Sesame Street. Boston is a pipe dream. Boston is for runners not joggers. Boston Creme Pie, I had to throw that in because I am always thinking of food. Boston is for....Why not end that sentence with....Boston is for me?  So my little dream was born and the journey has begun. I may qualify or I may not. 40 is a good thing for time qualifications in Boston. It certainly won't happen easily for me. Did I mention I am a slow runner? It will take a lot of speed work and miles. My plan is simple. I am going to place one foot in front of the other and see where I end up. My running journey to Boston is now beginning. Fasten your seat belts it may be a bumpy ride.

Peace.
The "New Balance" Girl


Running Report: Daily runs 4 miles, 4 miles, 6 miles, and 4 miles. Speed work 12- 400's at 8:56min/mile. Long run this weekend. Yikes, I guess I have officially put it out there in the universe. Have a great day!


 





.

4 comments:

  1. Go for it, Susan! I think it's great and it's definitely worth the effort. (said from your pretty much non-running friend)... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks hi-d! We shall see where this journey takes me. One thing for sure I will be able to eat more Gouda cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it! Long runs and speed work here we come!

    ReplyDelete