5.31.2010

Coming of Age

Nike Girl has been talking about getting her ears pierced for at least two years. Converse and I always told her when she was older and could make an informed decision maybe she could get them pierced. I am sure at age 4, she didn't understand that rationale.She kept asking and asking and asking. One day I let my guard down. I was tired of her wearing these clip on earrings that looked like she was modeling on a QVC segment. So I  told her that when she turned 7 she could get her ears pierced. 7 certainly isn't a magical number but that particular day I was worn down from the persistent asking and just blurted it out. Silence, ah....the answer brought a closure to her asking. I know probably not the best parenting, but I was in survival mode. Besides  I thought...she won't remember this conversation anyways.
Yeah, eat my words. Nike Girl turned 7 and today I found myself in her friend's mini van jamming out to iCarly theme song, on the way to the mall. Nike Girl and her BFF were getting their ears pierced. Excitement certainly filled the air. Our little girls were taking one step toward coming of age.
Things have changed since the days we use to pierce our ears. Today I had to sign a very detailed two page form that, to sum it up, simply said that they were not responsible for your child's ears falling off. Once I signed on the dotted line, Nike Girl climbed into the chair with a look of excitement and fright. The nice young clerk that was going to pierce her ears handed Nike Girl a cute little teddy bear to hold. Oh how sweet. As I looked closer, I realized the teddy bear had multiple piercings and hardware attached all over its body. I think it even had a tattoo. Interesting. Even teddy bears have changed.
Nike Girl then had to choose her earrings of choice to be worn for 6 weeks. Her eyes lit up. I knew at that moment she had locked her eyes on the 5 Carot cubic zirconia jewels. They were screaming put me in your ears. I was screaming please let her choose something a little more dainty, something that wouldn't stretch her ear lobes. I have seen in magazines painful looking pictures of people in villages in faraway lands wearing circular disc in their ears. Big earrings can do some damage. She looked some more. I was prepared to guide her to something a little more age appropriate. But within seconds she found the cute little pink flower earrings.Now it was time to get this done.
I held her hand while her BFF held the other. The countdown began and Ouch! Nike Girls's ears were pierced. She tried to not cry but the tears came down her face. I hugged her. She looked in the mirror and the tears stopped. "Wow, I love them! I look at least 25."  Oh dear, she is growing up fast enough. I said , " No, I think you look like an amazing 7 year old with beautiful earrings." We left the mall, with a big smile and little earrings. Another first. So fun to watch her coming of age. Please remind me of that in a few years!

Peace.
The "New Balance" Gal

Running Report: Ran 9 today. Lots of runners on the trail. That is always motivating. We love the fact that summer has begun unofficially. Swimming season is upon us! Worked in the yard and garden, visited with family,  finished some house projects, ate BBQ and lots of popsicles. Don't you just love all the produce this time of year. I found some new veggie recipes to try. Enjoy your day!

2 comments:

  1. How exciting for Nike Girl. It is amazing how much it's changed compared to when we were growing up. I hope she has fun with her new earrings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Nike Girl! I remember my mom did the same thing, but the magic number was 9. I still remember going to get my ears pierced- little gold hearts which I still have nearly 30 years later. It was magic. Then we gussied up and went out to dinner the "posh" restaurant in town that I begged her to take me to every time we drove past.

    Your Nike Girl will remember her 7th birthday fondly.

    ReplyDelete