8.18.2010

One Foot In Front of the Other

Entry Three:
The months and eventually years went by after I announced that I was going to run a marathon. I continued to run most days but never could bring myself to sign up for even a 5K. That inner voice always said that I was a jogger not a runner. That inner voice existed until we moved to Dallas and I met a co-worker who forever changed my running path. 
One day at work running came up. I mentioned that one day I would love to run a marathon but then mumbled how impossible that sounded. My friend asked why that would be impossible. I mumbled several excuses in a row. She invited me to run with her the next weekend. I am so glad I showed up that morning. She took me under her wing. After several months of running with my friend, she had talked me into doing my first race which happened to be a half-marathon.
I remember the half-marathon, which was 10 years ago, like it happened yesterday. I was so nervous I ended up running it somewhere between 10 and 11 minute miles. I vividly remember getting beat by two yellow labs and their owner. Converse loves to tell that story. But I finished and I was hooked and very very crippling sore.
Within 2 years we had moved again so no more running buddy. I did, however, find, a wooded trail that circled the most beautiful little lake by our new house. That was where I started training for my first marathon. The Walt Disney Marathon, it was suppose to be flat and fast. Sign me up.
During the training runs, which I did by myself, I learned about blisters, chafing, poor fitting shoes, and the importance of water and food. During my training runs, I saw lots of snakes and eagles, raccoons and deer, rain and sunshine. I was one with nature on that trail. It did my soul good. After 18 weeks of training, I was ready to get on the plane and follow by dream to the land of promised record speed and entertainment at every mile. I was goin' to Disney World baby.
To be continued.....

Peace,
The "New Balance" Gal

Running Report: Still training. I run 3 days a week and then one long run followed by a short work out the aches and pain run the next day. I took on a monster hill last weekend. It was relentless. God sent me a distraction though as there were two beautiful fuzzy lost dogs with collars and tags on running along side me. I tried to reach for their collars to get their names but they thought it was a game. Once we all made it to the top of the hill they darted into a neighborhood like they knew where they belonged. It was early in the am so not much traffic, thank goodness. I am running around 9:20-9:40 minute miles over the distance. Slowly getting faster. Fingers crossed. Hope you have a blessed day.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for you! It's great to see the times get lower, huh?

    Love the new blog layout by the way. The colors are great! :)

    ReplyDelete