11.08.2011

Jack-o-Lantern Express

The festivities started over the weekend with a train ride on the jack-o-lantern express....

I wanted to do something special since Converse was out of town and would be for awhile. So I searched and found a little train with a high price tag that prormised as the ad stated "a ride through the woods complete with fall leaves falling and autumn in the air. The end of the journey awaited games and a festival for the kids ages 1-99." What fun! I am still belly laughing.
The adventure started sitting on an original passenger car decorated with plastic orange pumpkins hanging from the ceiling. The seats had springs poking through them that became quite the excitement as we blazed through the "woods" on the jack-o-lantern express. The woods consisted of homes on both sides of the track and an industrial park with tall smoke stacks. So much for fresh air but I did not say a word, At one point NikeGirl said," I don't want to be critical mommy but I think I could run faster than this." I simply said this is certainly the engine that could (or could not).
As we approached the festival excitement grew. The girls were peering out the window. Again, I said not a word as we pulled up and I peered over my shoulder. The express stopped sandwiched between a busy interstate and a major highway. We were in the triangle of noise and pollution. I could not even hear the girls talk. I was so gald Converse was out of town. I don't think he would of made it through this adventure.
The girls got off and waited in line to play ring toss with one ring, fished for magnetic fish in a rubbermaid container, and got a face tattoo. Before we reboarded we snapped a photo by the decorations.
Weebok's face was priceless. I felt the same way but did not say a word. They gave the girls a piece of gum when we reboarded and off we went back so very slowly back to the station. I furiously texted Converse and said, " I hope the jack-o-lantern express does not get on the wrong line with the Amtrack express. We will be toast."
As I sat peering out the window laughing inside and thinking how much we got for the money, I looked at the girls across from me. They were smiling and laughing. They had no idea how bad that sucked! I realized something on the jack-o-lantern express that day. The wonder in a child's eyes is only there for a short time. It is sad how that wonder gets lost as we get older. I am so glad I had self control and did not say too much and start complaining. I am glad I was able to belly laugh rather than be verbally critical, which I still need to work on. I am glad because when we got off the train and headed home, not one complaint was heard from the backseat. Either they were in shock as I or they had a good time. I think it was the latter.
It was a good day.

Peace.
The " New Balance" Girl

1 comment:

  1. hahaha...that is so funny. Children are less likely to see the world and circumstances as adults do. It will be fun one day to talk to your girls about that day and you will be able to really laugh. They will probably remember it forever and it will go down as perhaps one of your most memorable outings. :) Heidi

    ReplyDelete