2.17.2010

Let Lent Begin....Got Milk?

My husband grew up in an Episcopal church so Lent has and always will be a big event in his life. I grew up Southern Baptist not knowing exactly what Lent was about except that my best friend always stopped eating candy and had to bring her brown bag lunch  to school and eat stinky fish on Friday. She smothered it in ketchup to choke it down. So my initial experiences with Lent were somewhat less than impressive.
Over the past 17 years I have grown to look forward to the season of Lent. We have meet in the middle over the years. We have lived in many, I mean many different states, since joining hands in marriage so each new part of the country we would try a new church, find new traditions, try to keep our personal relationships with God alive and growing. Our current church is a bible based Christain church that meets in a strip mall of sorts and has one rockin' band, lots of opportunities to serve, and a great children's program. We are really enjoying it. But Converse misses the traditional setting especially during this church season. And to be honest I do too.
So we as a family participate or reflect on how to make ourselves better during Lent. This year, Converse, decided to give up carbohydrates. He called me this morning to announce his plan. By mid afternoon he called again laughing and announced God definitely has a sense of humor. Two hours into his famine of no sugar, a delivery truck shows up at his make shift office at a semi-abandoned building at the edge of this small town. He has been working on a project there for months, which seems like years...(Oh I gave up complaining..oops). The delivery driver announces that the local Girl Scouts had ordered 1700 boxes of cookies for a fundraiser. Well, according to the delivery driver, the fundraiser had been postponed so the driver was instructed to drop off the cookies at the building my husband is working at right now. So there sits my carb-free husband surrounded by 1700 boxes of Girl Scout cookies! That my friend is very funny to me. Let Lent begin! Got Milk?

Peace.
The "New Balance" Gal

Running Report: Ran 4 miles today (on the treadmill again! ) and did Jillian Michaels 30-day Shred. Highly recommend. I ran each day this weekend which was so nice, once even outside, yeah! I am trying to pick a race and then will begin the mileage build-up. I was going to do a race in mid-March but I will not be ready. Bummer! I have been rehabbing a hamstring strain and fell down the stairs with Weebok last week.She was NOT hurt, Thank God! But the hamstring went ouch. It is better though. I could care less about the hamstring as long as she was ok.

1 comment:

  1. That indeed is funny about the girl scout cookies!!! I do agree...God does have a sense of humor. I can relate to the traditions and the Wednesday night Lent services growing up in the Lutheran Church as a kid. My hubby & I now go to an Assemblies of God church...(and LOVE it), but I do miss some of that stuff...I have to say, that I never gave up anything during Lent though..It would be a good idea, I think. :)

    So glad that little Weebok is okay...I hope you recover soon from rehabbing the hamstring.

    Take care!
    hi-d

    ReplyDelete