11.29.2010

Dum Dum.....Sums It Up

Have you ever found yourself in a very exciting situation where what appears to be factual actually turns out to be a big gigantic dud? I can think of several occasions where this has happened to me. One of those times I remember was when I was a child rushing to answer the phone, before caller id, to see who might be on the other line. You can only imagine my excitement when I picked up the phone and a sweet little lady with an angelic voice on the other line said, " This is Betty Crocker, (pause...long silence....) may I speak with your mother." I paused as I had a flashback to the cake mix with the sweepstakes label. We have won! I shouted in my head. I collected myself and calmly said "Just a minute." I practically ran through the screen door to get outside as fast as I could where my mom was working in the garden. "Mom! Mom! It is Betty Crocker on the phone! Hurry!" My mom stopped weeding the radishes and gave me this look of blankness which spoke the words are you crazy? She simply said, " Tell her I will call her back."( pause)  "What! What! Call her back! Mom, it is Betty Crocker! We won the sweepstakes!" My mom just looked at me and said, " Calm down, it is not that Betty Crocker, it is the little ol' lady from 4-H." 4-H... well for pete's sake! I was so disappointed and embarrassed. I thought we had won the big one! But no, we had won nothing. Life went back to normal.

Well just this afternoon, I found myself in a similar situation. Only this time, the girls were a witness. We had bought a package of  Dum Dum lollipops at the store yesterday on sale. Today after we all got home, I thought it would be a special treat to give Nike Girl and Weebok a Dum Dum to counterbalance the fresh apple.They were both very content as they took their first lick. I glanced down at Weebok's wrapper I had in my hand and saw the bold words "WINNER!". I looked closer at the wrapper and it said Grand Prize Winner! I looked even closer with my 40 year old eyes, to make out the words MP3, $2500, tour of the factory and a flavor named after you. I reread it twice! Then spontaneously shouted, "We Won! We won!" as Weebok was chomping on the winning flavor. I reached down like any good mother would do and pulled it right out of her mouth. After all, they may need the actual lollipop as proof of the winning wrapper! Weebok so did not understand that! Nike Girl started screaming, "Call Daddy at work! Call Daddy!" We were hollering and dancing, acting a fool, and eating Dum Dums as we all three marched to the office to get on the computer to confirm our winning wrapper! I called Converse in the process. Nike Girl asked if he was sitting down. His response, " What did you buy? " Nothing! In fact, I explained, we won the Dum Dum contest! I continued to scroll down the website. And there it was.....
The winner of the 2009 Dum Dum contest.....2009? I guess you find a wrapper last year then submit your name then a grand prize winner is picked. Our bag of lollipops were old, hence the sale, but the worst thing was that I managed to get the girls all excited! Then I had to call Converse to add to the humiliation. This was definitely a topper to the Betty Crocker sweepstakes. Nike Girl, just shook her head and said, "Maybe next time." Weebok continued to clinch her lollipop with her teeth so I would not snatch it out of her hands again. Converse just belly laughed for minutes. Dum Dum....sums it up!

Peace.
The "New Balance" Girl

Running Report: Outside to run this weekend in the wind. Ran twice 4 miles both times. Nothing major just enjoyed the outdoors. Will be on the treadmill the next couple days due to weather I imagine.  I have to bribe Weebok to stay in the exersaucer these days while I run. I guess the Dum Dums will come in handy.

1 comment:

  1. oh man...what a bummer. I would at least email them. Maybe they'll give you a consolation prize. :)

    ReplyDelete