11.17.2010

The Turducken Thanksgiving

     Here in the states, all household cooks are fully aware that Thanksgiving is fast approaching. I am preparing a list of items to make for the feast. The magazines are full of recipes that look so delicious and fancy. It is hard to narrow down the menu. Well, sort of.... my culinary skills are a limiting factor. But I refuse to have the same broccoli and cheese dish, same green bean with french onion topping dish, or a canned pumpkin pie. This year Converse and I have agreed that we want to contribute something different to the menu. We however, disagree on our contribution choices.


For starters, I have issues with eating turkeys or chickens actually. On the farm, we use to raise both. The chickens had names until the coyotes got them. My sister's pet chicken even jumped onto the axle of our farm truck, without us knowing, and rode to my great aunt and uncles house 3 miles away, no joke. I even had a pet turkey that use to lay out in the sun with me under the sprinkler in the summertime. He was so ugly but fairly smart. So I have a weird emotional attachment to seemingly unresponsive birds. Eating them is difficult for me. ( Trying to understand life on the farm is probably equally difficult for you, as I think back it is a little disturbing, I will give you that. )

Converse actually wants to "fry" the bird. Last time he fried the bird was like 10 years ago. I became intensely ill with a stomach virus within a few hours of eating it. The entire holiday was spent in my parents guest bathroom. Needless to say, I put it on my list of done that and never doin' it again post it notes. But he insist. He enjoys lowering the poor Tom into a vat of emergency room hot grease and leave it to brown or blacken. I have decided to let him win, I mean I have compromised. I told him I would find an alternative to turkey.
 
This is where it gets more interesting. I am minding my own business at home last week when the doorbell rings. The Fedex delivery truck speeds away after leaving a rather large package on the doorstep. I rush in thinking it was a surprise Converse must have ordered for the holidays. I open it up anticipating anything but the large piece of  frozen raw meat I found. The label said  8 lb. Turducken. I proceed to do one of those move the object out a little further to see it more clearly. Yea, it reads Turducken. Hmmm....not sure so I google it.

Surprise surprise. Seems like it is all the rage! A turducken is defined as a dish consisting of a de-boned chicken stuffed into a de-boned duck, which itself is stuffed into a de-boned turkey.Good grief Charlie Brown that is a lot of bird!  When I said alternative to turkey I was thinking spinach enchilada or even a bowl of Cracklin Oat Bran (two of my favorite foods). This turducken is going to be an experience. The reviews are amazing so why not, I suppose.Actually, why, is my  honest response. I think I will have to pass on the bird. I saw an ad that Cracklin' Oat Bran is buy one get one half off this week. Sounds great! That will be my contribution. Problem solved. Got Milk?

Peace.
The New Balance Girl

Running Report: Been working on increasing my speed a bit on the ol' treadmill and the pavement. I have started doing the 30 Day Shred again. Love that workout. Hope to do a long run outside soon! I need to run in the fresh air for a couple hours. It does my soul good. Plus, I can decide what side dishes I want to go with my cereal. Peace.

3 comments:

  1. LOL...funny post! That turducken sounds quite interesting. (not sure if I'd want to try it either)...Maybe you should try Tofu Turkey! Just kidding - I always think of that episode from Everybody Loves Raymond when they served it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tofu Turkey, that is funny. I missed that episode, how could I miss that? That show made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We watch reruns all the time. I think I've seen every episode...(multiple times)...haha...

    ReplyDelete